Sunday, September 13, 2009

Real Task 1 - Setting up my blog

I realized I've already messed up my "23 Things." Task 1 was setting up my blog. I did so using blogger because I already had a Google ID I could use. I didn't try to doll it up, I just chose one of the templates. I think pre-made templates for blogs and web pages are a fantastic way for those of us with no programming skills to create something slick looking.

Blogging software is actually a great content management system. You input data (could be pictures, writing, etc.) and it's all archived, dated, and search-able. That's pretty powerful stuff - and it's all free.

Personal blogs abound. However, professional blogs are a horse of another color. Blogs can have a strangely personal feel; it can lead to a real bond between blog writers and readers. However, it's an extremely important for blogs being used in an organization (lets say a library!) keep a tone and level of writing that is appropriate for the setting. As librarians explore blogging, they should keep in mind their library's policies about public relations and communication with the public. (Can you tell I'm also enrolled in a promotions and communications class as well this semester?) Whomever is contributing to a library blog should make sure that the info going up matches the mission and guidelines for communications from the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment