Monday, September 14, 2009

Task 7 - IM

I became an IM addict in college.  I'd IM people I knew were downstairs in my dorm lobby.  I'd IM my roommate.  I'd IM people across the country.  It was, I must say, the coolest thing ever.

Then I just decided I didn't care anymore (this was probably around the end of college) and I don't think I've IM'd in years.  I think text-messaging is the new IM, but I have yet to embrace texting.  More on that later...

I had to practice a virtual reference chat in my Reference class last year.  Whew!  It was way harder than I thought it would be, even though I used to IM.  In person, I'm happy to conduct a reference interview and try to find out what exactly a person is looking for.  However, when it's time to type it all out, I felt like I was bombarding the other person with questions.  It was kinda awkward.  I think IM reference is a great resource to offer IF you have the staff to dedicate to it.  It really ties someone to a computer. 


As for texting - I think it's a great way to communicate, it's really wonderful for people who might otherwise have trouble communicating with the reference staff (say, a Deaf person) but again, you have to have staff who understand it and can dedicate real reference time to it.  It's not as great as IM for reference because you can only provide the shortest of answers on text AND it is infinately more difficult to point someone to a resource via text.  (With IM, you can send them a link to almost any online resource and BAM they have it!)

As for webinars, my most recent experiment with that is in a library science class.  The class is an online class, but we meet via Adobe Connect sometimes to make sure everyone's in sync.  We'll have final presentations to do via the internet at the end of the semester.  If people have web cams they can use them.  We've been encouraged to buy microphones.  If all of that fails, you can chat alongside everyone else.  It's actually really cool to be part of an online, collaborative effort like that.  I've also enjoyed using Google Documents which allow many people to edit a document at once.  It's really handy for online courses with group projects.

I think webinars hold lots of promise as learning devices for librarians.  It's making time to sit down and watch one.  When you GO to a workshop, none of your co-workers are interrupting.  However, it may be more difficult to build a small fortress made of file folders around your computer monitor and have uninterrupted time at a webinar while you are in the midst of your normal workday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment