Sunday, September 20, 2009

Task 11 - Tagging & Del.icio.us

Maybe I'm just a grumpy-grump, but I actually don't think Del.icio.us is really THAT helpful when libraries are trying to serve their populations.  I do think it's super handy for staff to use to keep track of their links on their own computers. 

It is a great thing to tell your patrons about (because, let's face it, most of the folks using a public library computer don't have the luxury of a computer at home).  You could show them Del.icio.us and they could log in every time and have their "bookmarks" there for them.  They don't usually get to use a "bookmarks" type set up on a public computer. 

I used del.icio.us for about a second and a half.  Then I just went back to my RSS feeds and browser favorites. 

p.s.  Tags are strange.  I think because I've used libraries for so long, the lack of standards is hard for me.  Should tags be singular?  Plural?  broad?  specific?  I think the concept is good, but it actually stresses me out to pick tags for pictures/blog posts/etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment