Saturday, September 26, 2009

Task 21 - Other Social Networks

I used to have a Ning account, because that was the cool new thing, but then I deleted it recently. Even though I'm supposed to join the 23 Things Ning, I'm not going to recreate my account just to do so. I find that just because I'm willing to try a new 2.0 product does not mean I have to remain a participant. If the service doesn't grab me, why would I waste my time where there are so many other things to try?

The 23 Things blog lists Webjunction as a social networking site. I had never thought of it that way, but I guess it is. I <3 WebJunction. I love their re-designed site. I love that there is a clearinghouse for documentation related to real-life library stuff. I've not used it much for discussion board/social networking purposes, but I certainly go there looking for information sometimes.

I have no doubt that social networking could help raise the visibility of the library within certain segments of our service population. However, we have to take into account that a large segment of our service population at my library may still not have high speed internet (Web 2.0 on dial-up is just depressing) and that one whole segment of our library users come to the library to use the internet. They visit our building; we don't have to draw them in using web 2.0.

It's like anything else - libraries need to balance their enthusiasm for something new with not alienating the population you already serve in the "old" ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment